Advertisement

fridge on carpet ok?

topic posted Thu, May 17, 2007 - 5:09 PM by  Яt be taxati...
Share/Save/Bookmark
i have a small-medium size fridge that i want to put in my room, which is carpeted. but im not sure if there are any fire hazards/issues with having it directly on the carpet.. anyone know if i can do that or if i need a different surface underneath? if so what kind of surface would be best?
posted by:
Яt be taxation without representation
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: fridge on carpet ok?

Thu, May 17, 2007 - 6:28 PM
    We have a small office refrigerator on carpet at work. Don't seem to have any issues. My two concerns would be 1) is it an older unit that might break and leak?, and 2) what about stuff spilling or defrosting inside?

I can't think of anything specifically designed for going under refrigerators, though I bet the other folks here (or Google) could point you in the right direction. One thing that seems like it could work, if you could find the right size or trim it down, are those clear plastic floor pads that go under office chairs to protect the carpet.

Cheers,
    SW :)

Thu, May 17, 2007 - 7:19 PM
      ah, thats smart! thank you :)

Fri, May 18, 2007 - 12:21 AM
        Bad idea. Fridges ventelate from underneath, and carpets pick up and trap dirt. You'll end up with a fridge that overheats, and a smelly carpet.

Fri, May 18, 2007 - 1:01 AM
          Hence the floor guard.

Sat, May 19, 2007 - 10:44 PM
            Those will eventually crack under the weight of the fridge, and liquids will seep through and get trapped, rotting the carpet underneath.

Sat, May 19, 2007 - 10:49 PM
              let's elevate the fridge w/ a couple of 4 X 4s. Slip a plastic mat between the them.

Sat, May 19, 2007 - 11:10 PM
                shit, i didnt think that far. i wonder if i could find like some wooden sheet. or even a slab of concrete. but the 4by4 might be easier to come by.

*goes off to check for 4by4s nearby*

Sat, May 19, 2007 - 11:26 PM
                  Wood is pourous, and will rot as well.

If you MUST put a fridge on carpet, get a sheet of good THICK plywood, and put floor tiles on it. (mortar, tile AND grout), and then put the fridge on top of THAT. But make sure the plywood is heavy enough to support the weight of the fridge without bending, or the grout and mortar will crack, leaving the carpet beneath vulnerable to damage.

On second thought, lay a good thick sheet of plastic under the whole plywood - tile assembly.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: fridge on carpet ok?

Sat, May 19, 2007 - 11:43 PM
                    If the 4 x 4s only support the edges of the fridge which is were the weight bearing feet are anyway, there should never be enough water to rot them unless the room completely floods. This would also allow a large airspace under the fridge. She could also paint the 4x4s which would seal out any water. All this could be put on tiles or linoleum set on plywood decorated any way she choses.
  • cal
    cal
    offline 0

Re: fridge on carpet ok?

Wed, April 7, 2010 - 12:13 PM
    Hey! I have a better idea, What about a big a$$ cookie sheet for the oven? its durable, wont rot, break, and it even has a handy lip to stop leaks from running onto the carpet surrounding it! Genuis, pure GENUIS!

Recent topics in "Free Advice On Any Subject"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
nude gay meet Unsubscribed 0 August 25, 2014
Novasone Lotion Unsubscribed 7 March 11, 2014
website hosting Unsubscribed 6 January 20, 2014
Tracing an email address JM 21 January 18, 2014